Excellent results for the Mediterranean countries at the 470 World Sailing Championship which was held in Enoshima, Japan. Spain won the men’s silver medal while France won the women’s bronze medal. In addition, Greece and Turkey have confirmed their qualification in Tokyo Olympics.
In the men’s category, Jordi Xammar / Nicolas Rodriguez of Spain were the leaders in all the races, but because of a mistake in the medal race they lost the gold medal from the Australian crew. Good news also for the crews of Greece and Turkey who secured their qualification at the Tokyo Olympics. “We are very happy. I think we did a really good Championship and to be able to fight with the Australians to the medal race is amazing,” said Xammar.
The first six crews
1. Mathew BELCHER/Will RYAN (AUS 11) – 30 pts
2. Jordi XAMMAR/Nicolas RODRIGUEZ (ESP 44) – 45 pts
3. Anton Dahlberg DAHLBERG/Fredrik BERGSTRÖM (SWE 349) – 54 pts
4. Panagiotis MANTIS/Pavlos KAGIALIS (GRE 1) – 56 pts
5. Kevin PEPONNET/Jeremie MION (FRA 27) – 58 pts
6. Giacomo FERRARI/Giulio CALABRÒ (ITA 757) – 93 pts
In women’s fleet, the French team with Camille Lecointre / Aloïse Retornaz won the bronze medal. “It was our target when we came here to go back with a medal, so we are really satisfied with this medal,” said Lecointre.
The first six crews1. Hannah MILLS/Eilidh MCINTYRE (GBR 1) – 62 pts
2. Ai KONDO YOSHIDA/Miho YOSHIOKA (JPN 1) – 65 pts
3. Camille LECOINTRE/Aloïse RETORNAZ (FRA 9) – 72 pts
4. Elena BERTA/Bianca CARUSO (ITA 6) – 80 pts
5. Silvia MAS DEPARES/Patricia CANTERO REINA (ESP 18) – 94 pts
6. Tina MRAK/Veronika MACAROL (SLO 64) – 98 pts
2019 470 World Championships and Tokyo 2020 Olympic Qualification Event. Two World titles are being contested from 2-9 August in Enoshima, Japan, and four Tokyo 2020 Olympic Qualification places in the men and six in the women